Creevelea Friary, near Dromahair, played an important role in the life of the area.
Founded in 1508 by Owen O’Rourke, prince of Breifne, the friary was closed by Sir
Richard Bingham in 1584.
The friars were allowed to return in 1615 but by the time of the Cromwellian Settlement
(1654) their activities were greatly curtailed. They eventually left the priory sometime
In the 1650’s it seems that the parishes of Inishmagrath and Ballinaglera were regarded
as one district. It’s likely that the two parishes were also jointly administered.
As the friars departed the friary at Creevelea they settled for a while in the townlands
of Gaeglum and Greaghnagloch. This settlement became known as New Creevelea. The
settlement consisted of five priests and three lay brothers. The names of five of
them are known: Fr Paid Ó Coirnín, Fr John Nerney, Fr James Rooneen, Fr Charles Reynolds
and Br Dominic MacGowan.
They later moved to Ballinaglera where they settled at Corglass.
While the friars did not stay very long in the area, their presence resulted in the
fact that the local church there is still known as Creevelea Church.